Active Singles and Social Dancing: A Marriage Made in Heaven
Why are active singles and social dancing such a great fit? Well, before I answer this question first follow the link below to see what I believe makes for a great singles activity. I have not been educated in this area of thought. However my own experience as both a 32 year old single & a social dance promoter over the past 10 years have taught me a thing or too. That is what I would like to share with you.
Link: Great Singles Activity
Okay now that you read up on what makes a great singles activity, how do active singles and social dancing line up. First let me say that when I started dancing I was among the ranks of active singles and social dancing got me married off. I have watched it do the same for many couples since opening Swing Kat. Social dancing also lifted me out of a deep dark depression which was caused by extreme life circumstances at that time. It gave me a large group of new friends and broadened my network giving me ample opportunity to befriend and then date those with whom I found interest.
Now point by point let’s see how well active singles and social dancing line up…
- Fun. Social dancing in the styles of Swing is nothing if it is not fun. It is hard not to smile and laugh the night away as you get your endorphins up and gather with active people looking for fun.
- Social dancing though gaining in popularity once again is not like to was in the early 20th century. You don’t have a few dance halls per small town. Instead you have a few small towns per dance hall. Thus people from around your local region dance in the same dance hall. This gives you the opportunity to meet people you would not meet in your local hangout.
- Speaking of your local hangout, social dancing does not drawl in a bad crowd like your local high school bar. People who go dancing are of a different breed. They are looking to meet people in a pure environment where they can just be themselves. Due to alcohol consumption some social dance styles like Salsa dancing can be held in bars which totally changes the atmosphere. However, styles such as Swing demand people not be drinking as navigating the dance floor gets dangerous. Thus Swing social dances draw a clean living crowd including many Christians.
- Just the words singles event made me feel pressure as a single person. Social dances take that pressure away as people no matter their marital status enjoy a great night out mingling and dancing with whoever else is there. Social dances are not focused on the single people in the room but rather having fun, dancing and making new friends. Thus the single person can just enjoy themselves in an environment where they also have a great chance of meeting someone else who is also just enjoying themselves.
- Active singles and social dancing also fit well together as singles of all ages can enjoy social dancing. Depending on what style of dance you choose you can find other singles your age out on the dance floor. Ballroom dancing tends to drawl in an older crowd say 45-85 years of age though in city areas it can drawl a younger crowd. Salsa & Swing tend to drawl crowds from 15-70 years of age. Of course these ages vary by venue, but here at Swing Kat we enjoy a very well mixed crowd!
- Social dancing definitely will take you out of your comfort zone and this is a good thing! As you find yourself stumbling over your own feet, grinning nervously, turning red and laughing at yourself you will find that others get more comfortable around you. They see you as a real person and they find you to be approachable. Yes humility looks very good on you!
- Going social dancing will leave you feeling good when you get home and in your bed. Even if you did not find someone you had an interest in, you will feel energized. You’ll have that gratifying feeling one gets when they get home from the gym without having to drag your butt in there. You will be happy as you just meet a bunch of new people who you can see yourself growing to like even if just as friends. You will wake to a feeling of joy instead of a hangover. I remember when I started dancing swing there were few people my age where I went to dance. I had first gone there in hopes of meeting a gal, but after my first night dancing that all changed. I had so much fun that meeting someone was actually not on my mind. All I wanted was more dancing and if that was with women 20+ years older, so be it! Many people going through life forget to live while they are striving for what they want in life. You may not ever find that special someone. I hope you remember to live life to it’s fullness in the meantime. If finding someone is meant to be, you stand a better chance at a social dance than anywhere else.
- Social dancing is as the name suggests, social. The activities you take part in as a single person should be as social as possible. If you are an active single and social dancing seems like it could be fun for you, you need to try it. Think of it as speed dating without the pressure of needing to impress someone as in point #6. Each song takes 3 to 5 minutes and you are on to the next gal/guy. If you liked one, go back and have another dance. People at social dances say yes 9 out of 10 times to an invitation to dance. See if you can get those kind of numbers anywhere else. It is a sure confidence booster!
- You will have such a great time out dancing and meeting people that you will want to share this experience with your friends. There is nothing quite like it.
- Every now and then we hold a dance and few people show, but most of the time social Swing dances drawl in a good crowd. Our DJ Dances tend to bring in 35-65 people on average & our live band events tend to bring in an average of 160-220. Talk about plenty of opportunity to meet people! Yet there is one thing I really love about the smaller crowds at DJ dance events. This is the fact that those who come really get to know each other well. They become close and they have each others’ backs. Having this network of friends at the dance will also make you seem somehow popular among your peers making you even more likely to attract the attention of another.
Hope you have seen the value in social dancing. Active singles and social dancing are really perfect together. If it were not for social dancing I would not have found such a nice gal & possibly no gal as I was unwilling to do the bar thing. (as I don’t drink) I could go a few years without a date before finding dance, but I was always dating afterward. Give it a shot, join us soon. Calendar of Events